Saturday 12 March 2011

Baking

I baked my 1st, 2nd & 3rd carrot cakes ever. Modestly successful I can say: no. 1 & no. 2 tasted OK, 2 better than 1; they both rose though with a pronounced off-centre slope.  And no. 3, with Sue’s improved recipe, is light years better.  But not quite there yet.  Of course I have gone off the taste of carrot cake thanks to my rebellious tastebuds.
I will now keep baking, and inflicting the cakes on others, till I make the perfect carrot cake, the best in the world, one to make the gods swap their nectar for.
My next baking project is to make focaccia, but not any old stuff.  This will be the focaccia I used to eat as a child in Sestri Levante, in Liguria.  

A bread so gorgeously tasty, that it must have been made in heaven.  I intend being buried with a slice, well a few kilos actually to keep me company on the long journey to wherever.  So my quest is to recreate that so perfectly that it will transport me back to those golden, sunny childhood days and banish thoughts of chemo and cancer.  

I’ll report back.

2 comments: